Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Trip to San Diego

Last weekend, me and my mom flew out to San Diego for my cousin's wedding. We spent about two and a half days there (Friday- mid Sunday). So we got the the St. Louis airport at about 4:30 and our flight wasn't until 6:30, we sat around for two hours doing practically nothing! Our flight was from St. Louis to Denver, and then Denver to San Diego. The flight in total was about five hours, and it was a long five hours at that. Luckily there were no layovers, and we actually landed 10 minutes earlier than expected! We landed around 9:40 and there was a marine layer over the sky, which was brought in by the westward winds. Unfortunately all Friday the sun didn't come out. I am a California native, and I did live outside of San Diego for about 8 years total so I felt right at home. My uncle and grandma were there waiting for us, and we got in the car and went to our hotel. The hotel was called Estancia Hotel and Spa in La Jolla and let me tell you, it was beautiful! All of the people working there were very friendly, and even valet parked our car. The wedding wasn't until six that day, so we had a good 8 hours to do whatever. We went out for lunch, and then checked out the hotel and its features. The wedding itself was at the Estancia in one of the courtyards, and it was beautiful. We got through the ceremony, and then went to the reception in one of the ballrooms. There was music, and more importantly FOOD. The waiters even took our napkins, and put them on our laps. Then when we were done eating, they would take the napkin, fold it, and put it back on the table. The wedding was great, my cousin and her newly-wed husband looked so happy dancing with each other. The reception didn't last too long because the newly weds had to get up early to be at the airport to head to their honeymoon destination, Hawaii. Then on Saturday, we got up early and went and toured the USS Midway aircraft carrier in San Diego. It was me, my mom, my grandma, and my uncle. Now at first I wasn't too thrilled to see this, I looked at it and thought "it's just some military boat". But when we toured it, I was utterly amazed by it. It took over three hours to tour it, and we didn't even see everything! It's like a city on the water. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the USS Midway, and I would definitely recommend it to anybody who's out in San Diego to tour it! Our day had started out with the marine layer overcast again, and I was worried it wouldn't go away like the day before. But the sun did come out during our tour, and it was beautiful out. 75 degrees and sunny! After the Midway tour we went and ate at the Coronado Brewing Company. I ordered grilled fish tacos and a water. The fish tacos were out of this world delicious! I wanted more! After our lunch, we went to Coronado beach. The last time I saw the beach before this was in 2003. During my time at the beach I made my decision, I never wanted to leave! When we left the beach we checked in to our new hotel called the Westin, located in the gaslamp district. We got our rooms, and then walked around looking for a good place to eat. We came across a place called Sammy's Woodfired Pizza and ate there. We decided to sit outside by the sidewalk and street, it was an awesome experience eating and watching people and cars go by. And the occasional Ferrari or Bentley go by was awesome. The pizza there was great, we got a pizza with sausage and pepperoni, and a pizza with chicken and the sauce was barbecue sauce. It was the best pizza I've had in a while! After dinner we all went back to our rooms to get up at 6:30 in the morning to eat breakfast, and then go to the airport. The wait for the plane in San Diego didn't feel long, despite being an hour and a half. We finally boarded the plane and took off, and we flew above the ocean for a moment and then turned around. Seeing the beautiful vast blueness of the ocean made me want to cry, because I was once again leaving the place I knew as home. Once electronic devices were allowed to be turned on, I whipped out my phone and played bookworm the rest of the flight. Sounds like fun huh? I don't care what anyone says, bookworm will always be one of my favorites! We had to land in Kansas City to pick up passengers, and took off again. Flying through Missouri we went through some storms and in only 40 minutes we landed back in the Louie (St. Louis for those who don't know). Right when we landed it started POURING, it was a huge storm. We haven't seen rain like that in months because we've been in a drought. Now that's a good welcome back isn't it? I saw it as "go back to California!" though, and I wish I could've gone back. But anyways I enjoyed my trip, and I plan to go back soon. Whether its to live there again, or just to see family. I will go home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment