Monday, August 27, 2012

An awful realization

I'll start off by saying that I'm 18 but I look younger, and from time to time I'll buy a cigar to sit and enjoy. (no cigarettes though!) So one day I was at a gas station just buying a cheap black and mild, and of course the clerk asked me for my ID. Without hesitation I showed her the ID and continued to pay for it. Now my friend (who's name will not be mentioned) was also buying one, and he is the same age as me. But there was a difference, the same clerk didn't ask him for his ID. He looked and laughed at me, and I asked her how old she thought my friend was. She tells me "I think he's in his 20's" he then told her he was 18. She looked shocked. But the point is, I think even though someone looks older you should still ask for their ID. There are some kids that are below 18 that look of age, and people aren't bothering to card them. Asking for an ID can make a difference from selling to someone of age, or selling to a minor. Plus, it doesn't even take 10 seconds to show someone your ID. It's part of your job to ask someone for their ID if they're buying tobacco products or alcohol. I think it's not worth putting your job in jeopardy for not asking for identification, because something could happen. Just ask yourself "what if" and it could change the outcome of what's to happen. I'm trying to keep this short and sweet because I have to head out. So comment and let me know what you think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment